Monday, December 05, 2005

A new adventure: ARP 2600

Today I embark on a new project. I'm recording an album of music using nothing but an ARP 2600.



This project is in memory of my father, who bought this ARP new in the 70s. He was a pioneering electronic composer - a genius - whose light never shone far enough.

He passed this ARP on to me, though, and I intend to use it.

This will be a learning experience for me, because I don't know much about the ARP. I understand the basics - oscillators, filters, envelopes, etc. - but I have no visceral knowledge of using this amazing piece of equipment.

My method, at least to start out, will be to traverse the 100 patches in the ARP patch book, and for each one, create a piece of music using that as a theme, or a jumping off point. Along the way, I'll think out loud about craft, composition, eletronic music, and the process of creation.

My father died in the summer of 1997. I'd like to finish this album by the 10th anniversary of his death. Now I've said it, so I have to stick to it. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger nuje said...

RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD RAD

9:09 AM  
Blogger Patrick Flanagan said...

I approve.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a adventure cycling site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Greetings.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home